Never to show up empty handed, I decided this was a great opportunity to make guacamole.
I played this one by ear, half-following a recipe discovered at Chelsea Market, and half making it up on my own. That's always the fun part.
Removed the avocado flesh from its shell, scooping it into a bowl. Added lemon juice, onion, garlic powder, salt, and red pepper flakes, for some kick.
Used a fork to mash it all together a bit, letting the avocado remain in chunks, because I love when you can really taste the avocado in the dip.
Once I had a nice, thick mash to work with, I added 4 ounces of Chobani Plain 0% Greek yogurt, to help smooth it out and lighten it up.
|do mix completely, more than this half-mixed shot!|
At last, add tomato, mixing a little bit in, and using the rest to garnish the top.
|front and center|
|the secret ingredient|
PLUS - Greek yogurt? Hello, protein boost! Plus, live & active cultures, so good for your gut!
Even though it was game day and nutrition wasn't at the top of everyone's mind, it's nice to know that some sport-worthy nosh can also be body-worthy.
Makes about 2 cups
- 3 avocados
- 1 lime
- 1 small red onion or 1/2 medium
- Dash of kosher salt
- Dash of pepper
- Pinch of red pepper, to taste
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 4 oz Chobani Plain 0% Greek yogurt
- 2 roma tomatos, diced
- Cut avocadoes in half, remove pits, and use spoon to scoop flesh into a bowl.
- Add juice of lime, minced onion, salt, pepper, red pepper, and garlic. Toss and mash slightly using a fork, spreading the flavors but leaving some chunks intact.
- Stir in yogurt to desired creaminess.
- Toss in half the diced tomato and mix. Then sprinkle remaining tomato pieces on top of dish. Finito.